13 April 2008

Farmers Market Finds

I've lived in Bellingham for approximately two and half years now and surprisingly I've never gone to the renowned city treasure—The Farmers Market downtown. As soon as I found out it recently started I made a promise to myself to check it out as soon as possible. So, yesterday I finally made an appearance was immediately disappointed in myself for not having come sooner. I couldn't have asked for a better day because it was a gorgeously sunny with the temp well into the 60s. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos at the market as I was completely wrapped up in the wondrous site before me. But I can tell you that it was a feast for the senses with bursts of colors from all the merchandise, bustling of people, delicious smells from the food vendors and the sound of street musicians playing.

I was equally impressed by the large selection of handcrafted jewelry and apparel. While I love finding good deals on jewelry anywhere, I'm usually pay a little bit more when it comes to hand-made jewelry that is unique. So, of course I wanted to buy everything I saw. But I didn't. I managed to snag a few gems and even a few things to add to my wardrobe. I definitely used up some of my graduation money. But it was nice to treat myself to a few well-earned treasures.


Here are earrings I bought from local jewelry maker Gloria Shannon. I've been a little hesitant to buy earrings the past few years because I've gotten allergic reactions from them. But these pair to my great surprise don't bother me at all. Maybe because the posts are real sterling silver.




I got the fabulous grey hoodie from Red Boots Design. I love the flower motif and the colors, very spring-y and a great alternative to my peacoat now that the weather is getting warmer.



This comfy cotton skirt is from Texture and I got it for 50% off! What a bargain and it fits great too. It's made from organic cotton and it's got a little bit a lyrca in it to give it some stretch, which is why I could squeeze into an XS. The top part comes up a little too high but I can remedy that by folding it over. Also there's hidden zippered pocket in the front big enough to carry cash and cards for casual shopping trip sans bulky purse (like going to the Farmer's Market).


I don't remember the name of the vendor I bought this bracelet from, but it was another great sale item ($11). Handmade with blue glass and copper beads. It's much prettier in person. This photo doesn't do it any justice. I'm usually not a bracelet person, but with bracelets like and others I saw I can see myself easily becoming one.

Ok, so these items I didn't necessarily buy at the market but I figured since I was downtown I might as well check out the local shops. And of course, I can't resist a good sale or a great pair of shoes.

Mavi Jeans from a great little shop call Georgie Girls. This pair was 30% off. I love the color and wash and they're long enough to wear with my shorter heels. The store offered free hemming, but for this pair I decided to keep them a little long because I know I'll be wearing a lot of heeled sandals this season.

Of course I couldn't be downtown without stopping at my favorite shoe shop Mi Shoes. It's been a while since I've been in and I was excited to see all the new styles. This particular pair by Pink Studio has the perfect heel height, high enough to make me feel taller but short enough to comfortably walk in. And this color is a great neutral for spring and summer and will transition nicely into fall with thick stockings.