05 September 2008

The Kindness of Strangers

Yesterday my roommate told me about this $10 sale going on at this amazing shoe store downtown. And me, being a sucker for a good deal and also a self professed shoeaholic, just had to go and check it out. So I did after work today and found the most comfortable and chic pair of sandals. Bronze, gladiator style with some stone embellishment, perfect for spicing up an outfit but subtle enough to wear casually. I didn't pick them up at first because I wanted to look around some more. Big mistake, a group of girls helping their friend inside found out about the sale and got excited. Unfortunately, one of them had the same size feet as me and tried on the same pair of sandals but in black (which I also wanted to get, $10 com'on!) and sadly to my dismay she spotted the bronze ones too. She was so caught up in her excited she kept leaving one of the shoes out and I kept asking her if she had both shoes for the set. I was disheartened to say the least. The perfect sandal was in my hands and foolishly I lost them. Then I noticed one of the bronze sandals in my size was still out and I searched all over trying to find the partner, hoping there was two pairs so that she could one and so could I. But alas, I had a feeling she had the other match so I hesistantly asked her and she discovered she did, I reluctantly handed her the one in my hand and sighed heavily. Oh well. Better luck next time...I'll find a pair next year. Then to my surprise she asked, "Did you want them?" I was like, yeah! But I didn't want to make her feel bad. After all, she was the one who grabbed them, not me. I was stupid enough to put them back down. I think she could tell I was torn and she hesistantly said I could have them. Score! I thanked her as best I could, I even thanked her as I was leaving the store with my treasures in hand. I could tell she didn't want to give them to me, but I was so grateful nonetheless. I wish I could have done something for her in return. That was very big of her.

Super sales like this can bring out the worst in people, but this showed me that sometimes there is a ray of hope. You gotta share the wealth. I hope whoever that girl was, something amazing happens to her soon, whether it's finding another great pair of shoes for a steal or getting asked out by a cute guy. I'm sending my positive thoughts her way in return for her unselfishness. I hope that someday I can do the same for someone else.

No comments: